Side Walk Shutoff Valve?

Old 04-29-03, 06:34 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Side Walk Shutoff Valve?

Hello Everyone: I know where the Main shutoff is at the side walk in front of my house, and i have a real key to shut it off/on! Now there is alot of dirt in the hole, how do i get it out? ( Maybe a wet dry vac and suck it out?) Also, How much of a turn does it take to shut off the water? The reason i have to do this is two fold, the toilet in basement needs fixing but the water will not shut off all the way so i can solder the joint and the whole shut off for the house (next to the meter) the handle broke off and its old, so i want to put a Compression fitting with a steel ball in its place! Any tips would be appreciated, Thanks, Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-03, 07:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Most meters are 1/4 turn... meaning you just need to turn it 90 degrees clockwise to turn it off...

As for getting the dirt out, nothing works better than some good old human hand with some elbow grease... Watch for black widows and such in the box though... There is like one in every meter box in GA...

Old 04-30-03, 03:28 AM
T
Ragnar
Thank You, for your reply. But as far as using my hand, thats not possible the hole Opening is only at most 6 inch's in diameter and it goes down 4 full feet, below freeze level! The Key Turner (rod) that i have is about 6 feet long!

Old 04-30-03, 04:50 AM
Guz
Visiting Guest
A little wider

If not in concrete, could you make the hole a little wider and use gloves?
If not sure if you are permited to do this you can make a call and ask, they did it for me two months ago.

Old 04-30-03, 05:29 AM
There is actual a factory made "post hole" digger made that can clean out the old curb stop boxes. Made completely out of metal so it can be jabbed in hard dirt and gravel. The price of these things puts it out of reach for most home owners, but water and gas utilities use them with their maintenance crews.
Easiest for you is to just dig up old one and resetting it after cleaning it out.

Old 04-30-03, 09:58 AM
T
Gus, It is in the sidewalk itself, so i cannot make it wider and as far as asking the city, There ain't no way they would do that for you in the city of Brotherly SHOVE! As you see im in Phila. But like notuboo
says, i guess i'll just clean it out as best as i can and hope i can reach the Knob to turn it off? Don't know why they are not made easier accessible?

Old 05-01-03, 05:35 PM
Ahh.. sorry bout that... We use those keys around here for water mains, and I usually just use my key to do the necessary digging... I push it in and work it around and when it gets full of dirt, I pull it out and start over... I don't have a tool for doing it though... Sorry...

Old 05-01-03, 06:06 PM
T
A friend of mine was just mentioning the same thing >>I push it in and work it around and when it gets full of dirt, Thanks, I will give it a try

Old 05-02-03, 03:57 PM
poleaxed
Visiting Guest
i would also try giving the city a call.i live in ohio(home of your osu buckeyes)and the city has long and tiny pair of post hole diggers.also here in ohio they are required to perform service on the taps and to make sure they are in proper working order.

Old 05-02-03, 06:15 PM
T
i would also try giving the city a call.i live in ohio(home of your osu buckeyes)and the city has long and tiny pair of post hole diggers. The only way this city would give you Post Hole diggers, is so you can sit on them and rotate!!!!!!!!!! Believe, its really bad in phila, most people here are as ignorant as you can get!!!!!!!!! But anyway Thanks for the thought, and like i said it is located in the Concrete sidewalk with a 4x4 hole (at most) I was thinking using the key (as suggested) to get some of the hard dirt out and maybe use the Wet/Dry Vac to suck out the loose part. ALso i dont know if the water shuts off completely right away, because of drain off, so i was thinking about connecting a hose to the front spicket and if i get it shut off, i will wait til it stops leaking form the hose and then i guess i can proceed safely, Right????

Old 05-02-03, 07:08 PM
Correct... Of course, if you get the water turned off at the meter, you shouldn't get more than about 10 or 15 seconds of water from the front faucet...

Old 05-02-03, 07:43 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Use your hose first to loosen up and wash away the dirt in the curb valve box.......better yet ,with a high pressure washer. If there are rocks too then get them out with a shop-vac after loosening them. If it is a very old valve it may actually be a gate valve rather than a 1/4 turn water main valve. Run into a few of them now and then in NYC.

Old 05-03-03, 04:47 AM
T
Ok, Thanks, I was told that it was most likely a Gate Valve and i dont know what that is, but i think they said if it is then you can turn it any direction a quarter turn and that will shut it off, is this the way a gate valve works (incase it is)?