Drain clogged by air

Old 05-01-03, 08:10 AM
DIY124
Visiting Guest
Question Drain clogged by air

The drain in my kitchen sink is an H-depot 12.95 jobber. the dishwasher drains into the sink drain from the side as is the usual practice - and it drains fine. When there is a lot of water in the sink (enuf to cover the the drain itself), it drains very slow, then (an air-bubble gets displaced and) it all shoots down - sometimes I have to insert a straw into it to get it to work. Because the dishwasher drains fine, and when the water is running at a moderate rate it doesn't slow drainage - - I am lead to believe that the design of the drain-cap(?) is poor. Any one have this problem? What do you do?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-03, 11:43 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is the drain line from the dishwasher looped at the countertop level beneath the countertop?

Old 05-02-03, 03:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

That's the way that my dw and sink drain is set-up (just a dw tailpiece and no air gap)...you just need to make sure that there isn't any water in that sink when running the dw.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 05-02-03, 06:25 AM
DIY124
Visiting Guest
Could it be the design of the drain funnel?

To answer the question about the dw drain attachment - it is attached via a tail piece and the hose is never above the location where it is attached to the sink drain. I was thinking that perhaps I should pop a hole above this spot and run a small tube/hose up to the back of the sink and rig it up as sort of an air vent. But then, if it is the design of the drain piece than that wouldn't help.

Old 05-02-03, 07:48 PM
C
drain line

In my experience, the drain line from the dishwasher is looped just below the underside of the countertop to prevent backwash into the dishwasher from water draining down the main line from the sink. Unless an air gap is installed. It may be that not having that contributes to the problem with the air bubble.

Old 05-05-03, 07:59 AM
DIY124
Visiting Guest
How do you, where do you install air Gap?

So, the line from the dishwasher may be contributing to this problem. How and where do you install it and... where do I get one? Is there a site that you know about so I can see what it should look like?

Thank You !

Old 05-06-03, 05:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You could just have some sluggish drainage on the side that the dishwashwer drains into... Run a snake down the sink line... It can be the cause because it begins to interfere with the venting of the dishwasher drainage, and it substitutes by pulling air through the end outlet... Try snaking out the sink line first...