Faucet handle up and broke on me. Please Help!


Old 05-02-03, 07:00 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Faucet handle up and broke on me. Please Help!

We have a single handle Delta faucet in our kitchen, and the other day when I pushed the handle up (to turn water on), the handle broke off.

There is a 1/4" stem that sticks out of the bottom of the handle, which should be placed inside of a small pivot hole in the sink to control the water flow temperature, etc.

However, the stem is snapped, so it will not stay in the pivot hole.

My question: can I easily replace the handle? What is your advice? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-03, 08:31 AM
Mike Swearingen's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northeastern NC On The Albemarle Sound
Posts: 10,948
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Easy fix. That little stem just fits onto the ball of the Delta ball faucet.
Get a Delta kitchen faucet repair kit, turn off the water shut-offs under the sink, and replace all of the internal parts that come in the kit. Keep the little tool that comes with it for adjusting the cam ring. You'll probably need a pair of channel-lock pliers to remove the round cap (counter-clockwise) that holds the ball down.

Here's what the parts look like. You can do a Search above on Delta faucets for more detailed how-to info, or just come back on this same thread and ask if you need to.
Good Luck!
Old 05-03-03, 12:30 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanks, Mike.

I took your advice and purchased a repair kit, but unfortunately I think my problem is something else.

The repair kit did NOT come with a ball assembly. From what I can see per the instructions on the repair kit, it seems like the stem coming up from the ball set (that goes into the handle) should be fixed to the ball.

However, the stem will not fix to the ball (I've tried everything short of welding it on). ;-) Thus, my problem of the handle coming off, because the handle and ball stem are coming our of the ball.

Can I assume that the stem should be fixed to the ball, and I can purchase a new ball assembly as such?

Old 05-03-03, 12:34 PM
Ragnar's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 1,349
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The ball is the part that needs to be fixed, and some repair kits include the ball along with the other parts... Keep the repair kit you bought, but take the broken ball assembly and the handle with you to the hardware or supply store and get a replacement... Then you should have everything you need...
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: