moving toilet drain

Old 05-02-03, 10:48 AM
hosagenm
Visiting Guest
Unhappy moving toilet drain

I am replacing the toilet in a second floor bath. The problem is that the original contractor put the drain 11 inches from the wall instead of 12. The first toilet just fit by gouging the sheet rock, and tilting the tank a bit. I will be putting tile on the wall and installing a one piece toilet. There is some play in the drain. My question is this, am I better moving the drain, or cutting a recess into the wall. If I move the drain, what is the best way to get off the flange.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-03, 10:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The best answer is to buy a 10" rough toilet instead of a 12"... If you can't do that for some reason, then you have to have access to the pipe underneath the toilet so that you can cut it and replace the elbow and flange... Not always as easy as you imagine...

Old 05-02-03, 11:00 AM
hosagenm
Visiting Guest
The styles in the 10 inch are very limited. I think cutting the recess in the wall will be easier than moving the drain.

Old 05-02-03, 11:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, it is generally ideal to have 12" but I find that almost any toilet these days can be set on an 11" rough-in... Many will not be as snug to the wall as yours... Sit the toilet you buy in place ahead of time and you may find that it fits okay without the recess...