well pipe

Old 05-03-03, 07:07 AM
kvan
Visiting Guest
well pipe

i have a submersible well pump the lines come thru the cellar wall then to the air tank the problem is there is some kind of valve before the pressure gauge is leaking a little..it looks like a pressure valve or something does anyone know what it is and how to fix it

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-03, 07:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Is this on the water line or the pressure tank?

Old 05-03-03, 07:24 AM
kvan
Visiting Guest
its before the pressure tank on the water line

Old 05-03-03, 08:02 AM
mulemann
Visiting Guest
well pipe

kvan, it's probably a check valve, though most submersible pump systems have the check valve at the bottom of the well. To fix or replace it, you must remove it from the line. Shut off power to the pump first. Hopefully there is a union nearby that you can unscrew to remove it if it is threaded pipe. If it is plastic, you can saw it. You will get water spilled from your system, so plan on this. The check valve itself is probably a threaded fitting, and may not be repairable. If it is, there will be a way to disassemble it. I would replace rather than try to repair it. Replace with a similar one observing the proper direction of flow [water flows away from the pump to your air tank]. Be sure and use a high quality pipe thread sealant on the threads. I prefer pipe sealant over teflon tape, but some plastics may be adveresly affected by pipe sealant. If in question, use the tape but make sure that you use at least 4 wraps and avoid having the edges of the tape too near the end of the threads where pieces can be cut loose and flow into your system.
Note that the valve may be your pressure switch, you will see electrical wiring to it if it is.