cmullin

Old 05-03-03, 08:54 AM
cmullin
Visiting Guest
cmullin

I plan to install a glass door and frame on the bath tub. The instruction shets are inside the carton that I have not purchased yet. I am sure that I can install the appliance, byt my concern is about the type of drill to use. I have twist bits that will go thru the metal frame, but I don't think that the drill will go thru the ceramic tile on the other sid eof the metal frame. Any suggestions ?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-03, 09:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Use a masonry bit with a variable-speed drill on tile. Tap a starter point with an awl first to keep the bit from drifting.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 05-03-03, 09:59 AM
cmullin
Visiting Guest
cmullin

To "Old Guy" Thanks for your fast eply in regard to the tub door installation. I think that what I will have to do is drill thru the metal frame while it is in place, then change bits( to a masonry bit) andcontinue drilling thru the tile with the masonry bit. Does that seem to be logical ?

Old 05-03-03, 10:25 AM
Cool

Yep. That's what you have to do.
And you'll need screw anchors in the tile.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 05-03-03, 07:06 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Try to get a "tear drop" bit for ceramics they wil go through glass even and I have used them on the hardest tile imaginable!!!They are made by Black and Decker and are available at Home Depot. The frame for your shower enclosure will already have holes drilled for the mounting screws.

Old 05-03-03, 07:22 PM
I actually put in 3 doors last month right in a row, and hated everyone... They can be very tedious... I, however, never drill ceramic tile without a good Bosch bit... They are the blue ones they sell at the big boxes... They are more expensive but last a long long long time... Get a 3/16" bit and a 1/4" bit and you are probably good to go... I will say though that all three doors came with all the metal pre-drilled... The only drilling I had to do was in the tile... Also, there is very little actual drilling to be done... In fact the last door I did only required 2 holes to be drilled in the tile... And of course, the instructions will tell you this, but I will stress it to you ahead of time.... DO NOT CUT ANYTHING without fully reading the instruction, and then measure 4 times and cut once... DO NOT CUT SOMETHING WRONG... It is sooo commonly done... Just pay attention...

Old 05-04-03, 09:04 AM
cmullin
Visiting Guest
Tub door installation

Thank you very much Poorplmbr and Ragnar for your advice about drillin into ceramics. I was unceertain about the brand of drill to buy. Also, the knowledge that the metal might be predrilled. Charlie