sump pump vent

Old 05-04-03, 06:06 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
sump pump vent

OK , I had posted before about my sump pump pit being filled with gravel which I still am not sure why, but anyway I dug out the gravel to find my pump is enclosed in a 5 gallon polypropylene tank,I did a search on the model # on the unit and found out that it is a water removal system intended for above ground use.After further inspection I had noticed that holes were drilled in the basin to let the water in, I'm wondering if this was installed for any particular reason or the unit just was collecting dust on a shelf somewhere and the installer had to use it. Also the tank has an 1 1/2" outlet to the (vented) main sewer line wich I know is against code,but there is a 1 1/2" inlet for venting which is unused. Should I eliminate this tank, add a seperate vent line to it or just leave it be? thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-03, 06:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Actually, I would say to leave it alone unless it causes a problem... It sounds like the pump was put in place to take care of water that was getting in somewhere... The pump is recessed in the ground so that the water can run off into the gravel pit, seep in through the holes, and then be pumped up into the drainage system... You are correct that it is not code to pump it into the drainage, but it doesn't sound like it is coming on very often... The vent hole being left open would be a huge problem if it were a sewage pump, but since it is just rain or ground water, it probably isn't a big deal... by being left open it is serving as a vent anyway... Of course, if you don't see evidence of a need for a pump, then just discontinue it in a way that can be undone easily later... One reason you might do that is that the sewage could one day back up into the pump and it will just sit and cycle until you figure out what is going on and it could cause major problems...