compression nut

Old 05-04-03, 10:49 PM
maporter
Visiting Guest
Question compression nut

I know this is ridiculuous! - we are trying to replace the main water supply shut off valve to our toliet - it has a compression fitting - we cannot get the old compression nut off the pipe! We have tried all the traditional things to do - it won't come off - almost looks etched into the pipe - is there some trick to this? How do you remove an old compression nut so you can put the new one on?

Thanks!

Old 05-05-03, 04:32 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Since the brass ring ferrule normally distorts the pipe, it is best to cut it and the end of the pipe off.
What I usually do, however, is just use the old nut and ferrule on the new fitting. Your call.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 05-05-03, 05:57 PM
cartman
Visiting Guest
compression nut

I usually grab ring with vise-grips and twist-off the ring, you gotta be careful you dont crush the pipe though. If that fails, i heat it with a torch till its red hot, then try twisting it off. That

has always worked for me

cartman

Old 05-05-03, 06:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I am with OldGuy 100%... I have NEVER taken off a compression ring... Either cut the pipe behind it if you have enough copper to put a new stop on, or just brush some pipe dope on the ferrule or wrap it with a couple wraps of teflon tape and just put the BODY of the new valve on, reusing the old ring and nut... That will work just fine...

Old 05-06-03, 04:26 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If you still have no luck, clean it off real good and sweat on a copper male adaptor, then install a IP angle stop.

Old 05-06-03, 04:30 PM
W
Received 13 Upvotes on 11 Posts
Hi, I carry a puller for the ferruls, but I like to use the old ones on the pipe. Saves possible problems. Make sure the threads are the same. To check try the new nut on the old angle stop.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: