toilet flush problems

Old 05-06-03, 10:54 AM
mloman
Visiting Guest
Unhappy toilet flush problems

I have a toilet that does not flush properly. Flushing is ineffective about 1/3 to 1/2 of the time. When I say "ineffective" I mean the waste (liquid or solid) does not flush down the drain - it just circles in the bowl. The flushes that do work are perfectly fine.

Note: I have this problem even when I hold down the handle for the length of the flush.

Strangely, I never have two bad flushes in a row. They alternate between good, bad, good, bad, etc. I do, sometimes, have two good flushes in a row.

The problem started a couple of weeks ago. I was hoping it would solve itself, but that doesn't seem likely at this point. Can anyone explain this bizarre toilet behavior?

One more thing: I had a guy install this toilet about 6 months ago. I noticed that he used 2 wax rings (stacked on top each other). I thought this was unusual at the time but never gave it a second thought. Could this be part of the problem?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-03, 04:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have definitely seen first hand the double wax get in the way of the outlet and cause just the symptoms that you describe... I understand why he would do it, so it was not a mistake per se... The way to clear it up is to run a 3' auger down the toilet... It will go just beyone the bottom of the toilet and will clear the wax if that is the problem... Of course, if something has been dropped in the bowl, the auger is the first thing to try also... If that doesn't solve the problem, you might end up pulling the toilet...