kitchen sink pipes

Old 05-06-03, 02:06 PM
gem2
Visiting Guest
kitchen sink pipes

I am going to replace my mother's kitchen sink, faucet and pipes. The pipes are corroded and leaking chrome with a plastic PVC S trap stuck on between the end outlet drain pipe and the floor waste pipe. There appears to be a threaded slipnut at one end of the trap, but nothing at the end that connects to the floor waste pipe, which has a U shaped bend where it connects to the S trap (sort of a shepard's crook shape). My question: How to remove the epoxied? old plastic trap and save the floor pipe to connect the new plastic pipes to, and how to connect the new plastic to the metal?

Do I scrape or pry off the old trap? Just cut it off? Do I cut off the beginning part of the metal tube it is stuck to with a hacksaw...or would this shake the old pipes too much and be too hard to get a 90 degree cut in? How to connect plastic to metal? Rubber trap or elbow with clamps? Try some type of epoxy? Or if the metal pipe lacks a flange, a washer and slipnut? Would it be best to have a metal or plastic slipnut? Which way does the tapered end of the plastic washers point? And do the plastic washers really lead to leaks, one website says to only use rubber washers which I thought were for metal slipnuts.

Thanks for any and all help!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-03, 04:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would hacksaw the chrome off CAREFULLY... you dont want the saw to catch a lot so just be content to make shallow passes with the saw... Or, of course, as a plumber I have a pair of tubing cutters that will go around 1.5" pipe, but you don't always have room to use them anyway... Now once you have a bald piece of pipe at the floor side, then you can drop all the stuff under the sink (preferrably including the 2 strainers...)... Now replace the end outlet with a PVC end outlets using the nylon washers, but brush the washers with teflon pipe dope for added seal and so they don't loosen up with vibration over time... The connection to the metal at the bottom should be made with a fernco coupling... (rubber coupling with 2 clamps...)...