Cabin Water Supply & DWV Layout

Old 05-06-03, 07:33 PM
dachrist
Visiting Guest
Cabin Water Supply & DWV Layout

Hello, I am in the process of designing a water supply and waste system for our cabin. We will be getting a septic tank put in this summer, but I want to have all the supply lines and drain lines hooked up before then, so it is just a case of the final hookup to the septic tank. I have already purchased a 3/4HP jet pump, and a 83 gal pressure tank. My first question is, what is the best way of securing the end of the pump intake in the lake? I know that it has to be off the lake bottom, but what have folks around here done to ensure that? I can't have a float, because boats come quite close to shore where we are.

My second question: Is there any program available that will help map out a DWV system? I need to buy all my supplies before I head up to the cabin, cause it is about 6 hours driving time from any sort of hardware store. Also, I was thinking of doing all the supply lines with PEX lines & fittings, what are the feelings around those?

The cabin will have two sinks (kitchen & bathroom) a shower, and a toilet. The kitchen sink will be at one end of the cabin, about 25' away from the bathroom. What I thought I would do is put a Studor vent valve on the kitchen sink, then run a 2" drain line to the bathroom, tie in the bathroom sink (also use a Studor vent valve), then run the drain past the shower & toilet. I will put a proper vent line between the shower & toilet. The distance from the sink to the shower will be about 4', and the distance between the shower to the toilet will be about 5'. Will this be sufficient venting?

Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-03, 05:34 AM
sledgmb
Visiting Guest
if you get any good info on venting that cabin let me know. i've built a 14'x28' cabin myself and i'm in the process of planning my plumbing right now. all of my fixtures (kitchen sink, bathroom sink, shower, toilet) are all on the same side of the cabin. the shower/sink/toilet are all within 4' of each other. the kitchen sink is no more than 12' from the shower (farthest fixture). i can't run my vent pipes through my ceiling though...i'm going to just attach them to the back side of the building (completely out of sight). i'm just worried that my DWV system may be inadequate b/c i can't find any really solid information on how the venting system really works...

Old 05-07-03, 06:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Here are schematics for a full bath and a half-bath that might help you:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...hroom+Plumbing
More info can be found through a Search above for Bathroom Plumbing.
You also may want to look into Studor air admittance valves at http://www.studor.com/
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 05-07-03, 06:10 AM
sledgmb
Visiting Guest
where can you find info on pipe diameters, run lengths, etc? isn't there a thing called "wet venting" where you don't have to have the "upper" vent pipes above each fixture?