jacuzzi installation problem

Old 05-07-03, 12:38 AM
jespo14
Visiting Guest
jacuzzi installation problem

Ok here's the dilemma. A buddy of mine just hade his two bathrooms remodeled in his condo.he started the project without any permits. than was told he had to have permits by the home owner association. so he had the city inspect the work he had done and they signed it off.Now in the master bath he replaced his tub with a Jacuzzi tub. even after it was signed off by the city the home owners are saying that he installed the bathtubs wrong, that they need to have some kind of moister barrier under them. he called me to give him a bid to tier out the tubs and install this moister barrier. my question to you guys is their any special codes for condos or something.cause its my understanding that the bathtub ,jacuzzi or not, is just placed on the subfloor. any info on this mess would be much appreciated. i hope all this makes sence.

Last edited by jespo14; 05-07-03 at 04:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-03, 06:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Each jurisdiction has its own codes and the condo association also may have its own rules.
He needs to check with the local Building Inspection Department to see exactly what they require, and with the condo Homeowner's Association for written confirmation on what they require.
He can be held liable for damages if he doesn't comply with the HA, and he may have a problem selling his property by not complying to local codes. Now is the time to do it right.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 05-07-03, 06:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have dealt with a number of different codes, and I can't say that I have ever had anyone ask me for a moisture barrier under the tub... In fact, what the heck is a tub if it isn't a moisture barrier??... If the tub leaks later, all the barrier in the world isn't going to save the floor or the floors beneath if the leak is left unchecked... I will say that anytime I have an issue with a code, I have a right to ask for the code requirement in writing... An inspector can't make me do something that he can't find in the code book... You might pursue it that way... Ask the association where it is written down in any agreement that you have to have a moisture barrier... Otherwise you may just have to do it...