sewage smell

Old 05-07-03, 02:24 AM
dsd0917
Visiting Guest
Question sewage smell

Yesterday morning I noticed a smell in my house, but it was not that bad. When I came home from work, it smelled like something had died in my house. I found the smell to be very strong in the utility room and finally noticed that it was coming from the washing machine drain pipe. The smell is horrible and kept me up all night. I tried blocking off the drain pipe but its still coming in. Any advice before calling a plumber? It has not rained in the past week and no other drains in the house smell. I am having to take the day off today to have this looked at and was hoping to find some advice before calling the plumber.
Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-03, 05:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

There is a vent pipe clogged on the roof somewhere.
When a vent is clogged, water draining through the drain/waste/vent system can siphon water out of a trap to create another "vent", allowing sewer gas into your home.
Apparently the trap under the washing machine drain has been siphoned.
Go up on the roof and check all vent pipes for bird nests, leaves or other debris blocking them. Remove what you can reach by hand, and then flush the vent pipe(s) with a water hose sprayer.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 05-07-03, 10:24 AM
dsd0917
Visiting Guest
Wink thank you

Mike,
Thanks again. I got the first plumber available out here. Turns out there was no vent through the roof and just some kind of valve near the trap on the drain pipe. This valve (he called it something else) is what died! They did install a vent through the roof for me and said I should not have the problem there again. I hope I dont have to smell this smell again anytime soon, but if I do, least I will know what the problem is. This repair cost me about $200 bucks.
Thanks agsin,
Debbie

Old 05-07-03, 10:48 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Yep. It was a Studor vent (aka air admittance valve) that died, but he did the right thing by installing a good permanent roof vent.
Now, only if one gets clogged will you have a problem.
Good Luck!
Mike