PVC in 2 x 6 wall

Old 05-09-03, 05:41 PM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
PVC in 2 x 6 wall

Hi all-

I am running 2 inch PVC pipes from my vent stack to my vanity for the sink drain and vent. I notched two 3" x 3" square "holes" into the 2 x 6's I'm constructing the wall of, one for the vent, one for the drain. This 2 x 6 wall will be a bathroom obviously on one side and the living room on the other. I put the notches so they face toward the bathroom. My work will be inspected for code by the village inspector.

1) Will notching a 2 x 6 pass code instead of boring a hole through the middle of the 2 x 6 to make room for the 2" PVC vent and drain? Does it matter if I notched instead of bored?

2) Does building code generally require that I put something over the notch opening (bathroom side) in order to protect the PVC from drywall screws/nails?

3) Does building code generally require that some sort of nail guard be on the living room side of my wall so that a drywall screw/nail doesn't puncture the PVC?

Thanks for your time in advance,
Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-03, 06:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You can definitely get away with notching instead of boring, but don't go pointing it out to the inspector unless he mentions it... The vent has to go in the wall, so it is pointless to ask you to do it without cutting some studs... You DO have to put something over the notch though and it SHOULD be an FHA strap... A standard stud guard would suffice for water pipe, but when you physically weaken a stud by notching it, you put an FHA strap instead... They reinforce the stud while at the same time protect the pipe from nails and screws... You do NOT generally have to remove existing drywall to put in stud guards or fha straps as it is assumed that no additional drywall should be added to the other side... If you ever had reason to remove the drywall on the other side, then it would be expected that you place FHA straps on that side also...

There is a limit to how much you are supposed to notch, but generally, if you have notched just enough to get the pipe in, they will not question it...

I do have a question though... The vent should come in off of the drain to the sink past the trap but before the stack that the drain ties into, so how is it that you are running 2 parallel pipes in the wall to serve as vent and drain? In other words, you should only have to run a single horizontal pipe to the sink and if it needs to be revented, then you run a vertical vent off of the drain near the sink and go straight up out the top of the wall through the attic or to another vent... I can't think of any instance where I would run a parallel vent in the same wall??

Old 05-09-03, 07:37 PM
U
Did I get bad advice?

Ragnar-

Thanks for the info on the FHA strap. Since I have bare studs right now on both sides of my 2 x 6, I will place FHA strap on both sides of the notch.

To answer your question concerning the venting. Maybe you have caught me doing something wrong, so correct me where my logic is flawed.

I am finishing my basement, and when I had the house built, I had them rough in a bathroom. They did that by running a vertical PVC vent along one of my basement walls up to the roof and down into the concrete floor. Before this vent runs into my basement floor by the shower and toilet drains, assumingly to vent those two drains, it branches off horizontally for several feet, and then goes back down to a stub and then the floor again where I assume they assumed my sink would go.

But my sink is not going anywhere near there. My sink is going to be about a 9' run away from the vent stack, around a 90 degree angle (four foot run from the vent stack, 90 degree turn, 5 foot run to the stub for the vanity sink) So I Tee'd off the vertical vent stack twice, once high as a vent, and down low to run PVC for a drain, sloped 1/4" per foot. I did this because in a previous post on this site, someone told me that since my sink is so far away from the original vent stack, I have to vent the vanity sink within 43" of the P trap. Hence the "high" PVC pipe for the vent. I was going to drop the vent pipe via a Tee fitting down to the drain pipe from above within 43" of the P trap so that the drain is vented. Is this wrong? I asked on this forum if the drain even needed additional venting in the first place, but I was told just sloping the PVC toward the roughed in vertical vent/drain stack would not be sufficient without additional venting.

I cannot run a vent "straight up" the wall as you suggested as there is living area above and that wouldn't work at all. If I am doing wrong above, can you suggest the proper way to vent and drain this vanity sink using the existing bathroom rough in so I don't screw it up?

Thanks,
Steve

Old 05-10-03, 05:00 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You did the right thing!!! Just the way I would have done it and I have been doing it for over 25 years.

Old 05-10-03, 01:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
With your new description, it sounds like you are doing it just fine... You are just retying the vent in above where the drain ties in... As long as you are tee'ing that in within the 42.5" limit, then you are fine... Actually by code here, I cannot tie the vent in there if that vent catches anything on the upper floor, but it sounds like in your case, that vent stack is dedicated to fixtures on the lower level... If that is the case, then you are fine...

Old 05-10-03, 01:16 PM
U
thanks!

Thanks for your time guys! I just finished putting the 2 x 6 wall up and so far so good. I'm going to Home Depot tonight to look for that FHA strap.......

Steve