restaurant clogged pipe!

Old 05-10-03, 09:59 PM
chiwiz
Visiting Guest
restaurant clogged pipe!

Hi all,

I used a motor snake to unclog one of the underground pipe in the restaurant. When i finished, the snake have sands on it. Does that mean i accidentally break the underground pipe and let the sand in the pipe?

Any answer is appreciate

Thanks
Chris.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-03, 07:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
No, it means the drain has at least a hole in it from being old, or has settled breaking a joint.
I would offer to run a camera in the line for an extra charge and I would give them an estimate to dig up the line for replacement.
I would still charge the regular drain cleaning price for the work done.

Old 05-11-03, 07:20 AM
chiwiz
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by notuboo
No, it means the drain has at least a hole in it from being old, or has settled breaking a joint.
I would offer to run a camera in the line for an extra charge and I would give them an estimate to dig up the line for replacement.
I would still charge the regular drain cleaning price for the work done.
What do u mean by "has settled breaking a joint"?

Can the underground pipe be used for a while?

Thanks
Chris.

Old 05-11-03, 07:32 AM
If you hit sand, but you opened the drain, it will clog again in the near term future.

Most likely after the next rain storm that drenches the area.

Sand in drains are bad...

I doubt that someone would flush sand down the drain at a restaurant, so it should be an external source.

Pipe will settle even after proper backfilling. Given time, extended dry weather conditions, ground will shift and move. Depending on pipe type, age of pipe, it can and will seperate at joints, or crack from pressure. If under a parking lot, large delivery trucks will compress the soil even more causing shifting or even vibration on the pipe.
In open ground, roots can pentrate these cracks or if sand was used as the bedding material for the pipe, sand will enter the pipe.
Hope this helps...

Old 05-11-03, 07:50 AM
chiwiz
Visiting Guest
Hi,

The underground pipe is inside the restaurant (not outise of the premises). Does the weather affect this?

The restaurant has been there for 20 years. If needed to dig up and replace the pipe, should it change all the underground pipes?

Thanks

Chris.

Old 05-11-03, 04:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Do you have a grease trap, since it is a restaurant... If so, when is the last time you had the grease trap pumped and the baffles cleaned? Many times, the food grime, and grit from the restaurant waste can be confused with sand... If you have a grease trap, you should have someone come out and pump it out and clean it up every now and then...

Old 05-11-03, 07:25 PM
chiwiz
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Ragnar
Do you have a grease trap, since it is a restaurant... If so, when is the last time you had the grease trap pumped and the baffles cleaned? Many times, the food grime, and grit from the restaurant waste can be confused with sand... If you have a grease trap, you should have someone come out and pump it out and clean it up every now and then...
They are sands.

The funny thing is that when i first used the snake to unclog the drain pipe, there weren't any sand except for food grime. After successfully uncloged the drain pipe, i used the snake once again to thoroughly clean the pipe, but that last time it had sands on the snake.

Thanks.

Old 05-11-03, 08:39 PM
Do you have a grease trap?

Old 05-12-03, 07:12 AM
chiwiz
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Ragnar
Do you have a grease trap?
Yes, I have a grease trap outside of the restaurant. The one that is similar to a cesspool.

Old 05-12-03, 08:04 PM
I think you should have it pumped... It can fill with a sandy gritty material... Call it sand, call it whatever you want, but it can definitely originate with the grease trap... When did you last have it cleaned?