Are there any good performing 1.6 toilets?

Old 05-10-03, 10:11 PM
Darkhorse
Visiting Guest
Are there any good performing 1.6 toilets?

My house is about 50 years old and I've got two toilets to replace. The trap underneath each toilet in the slab is 4" if that matters. I have always had 5 gallon toilets and have always heard negative things about the 1.6 gpf. My budget for each toilet is $400 tops although if I could get a good performing one for $150 that would be great. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-03, 09:05 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kohler, Elger, Am. Stand., ... Pretty much any of the major brands work well. The ones available today are a big improvement over the first ones that hit the market, but any of them take some adjusting to. Because they use less water, they are easier to clog than one of the old 3.5, 5 or 7 gpf models.

Old 05-11-03, 04:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If your budget allows for $400 toilets, I would definitely consider 1-piece units... They generally have better flush designs than their 2-piece counterparts... For around $300 you can get a good Kohler or Am. Std. one piece...

They are also cheaper to maintain and are easier to clean...

Old 05-12-03, 12:33 AM
Darkhorse
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the replies. I will definitely look into the one piece toilets. I did have one last question though. Are the pressure assist toilets worth the extra cost or will I be satisfied with a good gravity flush?

Old 05-12-03, 10:58 AM
Brewbeer
Visiting Guest
If you get a toilet with a good flush, the booster units are unnecessary.

check out Terry Love's website, there is a good explaination of the flush strengths of many common toilet models.

http://www.terrylove.com/crtoilet.htm

Old 05-12-03, 11:51 AM
toilets

On the 1.6 toilets we have here. have found out that if it takes 2 to 3 flush's for it all to go down . Look at the flapper they will have a small hole in them and this lets them drop down faster. get a new flapper valve, one from Home depot or Lowes with out the hole init and the 1.6 works just fine. ED

Old 05-12-03, 02:24 PM
J
Heh, yeahh....I got a 2000 model American Standard 1.6 that performs pretty good - as a FLOWER POT!

HEH HEH HEH,HA HA HAAAAA!!!

-Jack!

Old 05-12-03, 07:29 PM
I personally wouldn't put a pressure assist in a residence just due to the noise if for no other reason... I also have had one complaint from a customer who had one "explode" while she was sitting on it... They are far more expensive to work on by the way...

Old 05-12-03, 11:27 PM
Darkhorse
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the replies. What do you guys think of the Toto Ultramax on the Terry Love site? I think it's gravity flush and he gives it a good review.

Old 05-13-03, 08:41 PM
J
The Toto Ultra max is as good as he says it is. I bought one and have never regreted it.

Good Luck

Old 05-13-03, 10:33 PM
Darkhorse
Visiting Guest
Thanks. I think that will be the toilet I'll get for the two replacements.

Old 05-14-03, 02:55 PM
I am all for the Kohler toilet, had good luck with the Wellworth line. One flush, it's all gone!

Wellworth are not expensive either, for a $100, get a nice basic, and good flushing toilet.

Have one American Standard now in our place, and I have to flush it two or three times.

Kohler use a 2" trapway, and it's smooth glazed all the way though.

Old 05-15-03, 05:27 PM
Darkhorse
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all the replies.

Old 05-16-03, 01:35 AM
josh1
Visiting Guest
I hand selected a disabled enabled toilet for business restroom last year. Called one place, asked what diameter the trap was, " ive been selling toilets for 20 years and ive never seen a pipe inside the toilet"

THAT is why that guy will be selling toilets until he dies.

Get a toilet with the larger 2" vs 1 5/8"inner trap opening. most of them have little tags that say "will pass a 2" ball through" or something like that. Make sure it has fully glazed trap as well.

Kohler is nice but not necessary. If you look at the bowl shape, this is critical. If it has a "recessed" area sort of like a sunken square or round shape for waste to pass through, it will fail. I have both old style and new 1.6 toilet. The old 5 gal with the sunken waste hole area sucks. You could flush it 10 times and one kleenex barely goes down. The 1.6 has just a large slanted area towards the angled back waste hole, thats engineering brilliance.

look at the how the waste will actually flow, thats where its at in trouble free toileting.

Also I prefer 4" pipe, I want to flush bricks down these things.

I think the ADD toilet was american standard, and it flushes with much ferocity. -Josh

Old 05-18-03, 11:31 AM
rightoo
Visiting Guest
Toilet

I just bought 2 Kohler Wellworth's with the so called "Igenium" flush system. Pretty good for a low flush. Same toilet was rated Best Buy by Consumer Digest. I also so it on one of the TOH shows where they went to the factory. Comes 95% assembled too. Just need to attach tank to bowl.

$99 for tank and bowl at your friendly home improvement center.

Old 05-22-03, 04:20 AM
Darkhorse
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the replies. I'll look into those as well.