hot water tank relief????

Old 05-11-03, 05:18 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hot water tank relief????

Can a electric hot water tank relief valve, have a drain pipe that goes up 5 ft. then goes over 10 ft. then down and out???? I'm building a house, and the hot water tank is not so close to an exteral wall. So I have to go up and over.... Is this OK??? Buckman.......

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-03, 05:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yes, it can go up... and you are in GA, so the code allows it too... If it goes up first though, you have to leave a tee at the very bottom that allows you to drain the vertical portion of the line in case it ever lets off water... In other words, the line should go to the side first, and then you put a tee on the corner instead of an elbow, and out of the bottom of the tee, you connect a boiler drain... Out of the top you continue up and then over to the outside... Then if the relief line ever lets water off, it will likely cause a drip at the relief valve since it is not designed to have water sitting against the back side of the valve... If you ever see the drip, you can then drain off the water from the drain valve... Of course, that shouldn't happen in the life of the heater, but the code does call for the drain just in case...

Old 05-12-03, 03:04 AM
B
thanks Ragner, for the info, I had a big disagreement with a friend over this.. Do you have any web sites that I can refence to, Because I don't think he'll beleive me??? And If the inspector says anything....thanks Buckman

Old 05-12-03, 08:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well, you will likely not find what you are looking for to prove an argument with your buddy... The codebook does say that you can not have a trapped area in your relief line, however, there is some disagreement even among inspectors as to wheter it is allowable if you put a drain in the trapped area... If you get the documentation, you will likely just look more wrong... LOL... If you want a better answer, call the chief inspector in Atlanta,... he will give you the low down... Call enough inspectors and you will have one agree with you... ...