water heater leaks

Old 05-13-03, 07:35 AM
rudaj
Visiting Guest
water heater leaks

The temperature/pressure relief valve leaks. I replaved the valve, then the tank and valve. It still leaks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-03, 11:14 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Are you saying you replaced the water heater with a new one (or at least a new T&P) and it still leaks? Did you check the water pressure at the house? It may be too high.

Old 05-13-03, 06:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'll be in Stone Mountain tomorrow... ... Did you replace the water heater? or when you said "tank", did you mean the thermal expansion tank? If you have already replaced the T&P and it still leaks, then you probably have a pressure problem or a thermal expansion problem... You can check your pressure with a $10 pressure guage from a hardware store...

Old 05-15-03, 08:24 AM
rudaj
Visiting Guest
I have replaced the pressure relief valve, then I replaced the water heater which had a pressure relief valve, then I replaced the expansion tank, it still leaks

Old 05-15-03, 04:28 PM
Did you pressurize the expansion tank to match or +5lbs more then the house is at?

Thats the static pressure you want, use a pressure guage and find the static pressure your house is at.

Static pressure is the pressure when nothing is on in the house. you have to set the pressure in the expansion tank the same as it is on your house or pump it to 5 lbs higher then your house pressure.

Failure to do so will cause the expansion tank to not work correctly, if the expansion tank pressure is less then the house pressure, then the expansion tank will fill up leaving no room for expansion to take place.

Check it out.

Old 05-16-03, 01:52 AM
josh1
Visiting Guest
just a tip, when you get this fixed, make sure you put in a fitting and pipe that relief valve to within 6" of the floor ( i believe) using the same size pipe as the fitting, it cant be reduced. I have seen several water heaters with no pipe attatched to the relief valve, or it ending way too high above floor when the valve is on top rather than side.
-Josh