Basement showerstall

Old 05-13-03, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement showerstall

I am replacing a showerstall in my basement, the drain is already installed. The instuctions state to seal/glue the drain flanged to the 2" pvc in the floor which I understand. If I do this though, how can I replace/repair in the future, the old stall I removed was not installed in this manner. Is there other ways to seal the drain, and not be so permanent in the basment floor. Thanks in advance. Kevin

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-03, 06:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
They make a flange for the shower, that attaches to the shower and then when you sit it in place, it has a washer with a lockring that tightens it down... It is less permanent than gluing it... But of course, if you have to take out a shower stall in the future, it is usually not that big of a deal to cut the drain pipe in the process anyway... The non-glue type of drain IS easier to install if you have to do it yourself by the way, as the glue on type just about requires 2 people... One to work the shower into place while the other glues it and guides it in...

Old 05-13-03, 11:32 PM
The shower stall I am installing has this flange you speak of, which has a gasket and locknut that attaches to the base and the whole thing sets overtop of the 2" pvc coming up through the basement floor. All this is not a problem and understood, but if i glue this entire assembly together there is no cutting the pipe in the future because I will not have access to the pipe, the whole base unit is completely glue down? Also if I did have access to the pipe to cut out the old unit, then how would I install a new unit if the pipe that is in the concrete floor is now too short to use and would have to be dugup, this is what I am looking to possibly avoid in the future. Thanks, hope I explained correctely. Kevin

Old 05-14-03, 02:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The drain I am talking about has a washer and nut just like yours to tighten it to the shower stall, but in place of the glue HUB, it has a second gasket, with a ring that tightens down against the gasket pressing it against the sides of the pipe to seal it... It DOES NOT glue... It is exactly what you are talking about...