Rheem Gas Water Heater won't light

Old 05-13-03, 04:52 PM
davek
Visiting Guest
Rheem Gas Water Heater won't light

11 year old Rheem Powervent will not light. Blower runs, ignitor glows for approx 20 seconds, clicking sound like the gas valve is opening, 3 seconds later the ignitor goes out, another click, and no flame. Help!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-03, 05:27 PM
davek
Visiting Guest
More Info

Refering to the schematic, I checked the voltage at the valve terminals and I get 16 volts after the ignitor is lit for approx 20 seconds, ignitor goes out, then voltage drops back to zero. Schematic looks like it should be 24 volts??

After it sat for approx 15 minutes, I turned it off and back on, the burner actually lit for a second, then went out. Now same as before. I thought more info would help. Any diagnostic help would be appreciated.

Old 05-13-03, 08:29 PM
davek
Visiting Guest
I think I've got it

I found technical materials on Rheems web site for troubleshooting. The problem appears to be the ignition control unit because when I bypass the IC unit and apply 24 v directly to the gas valve, it fires up. I will know for sure after I replace the IC unit.

Old 05-24-03, 08:47 AM
davek
Visiting Guest
Talking Fixed

For those with similar problem, it was the ignition control module. 68 bucks and it's been running for a week. Thanks for the input.