Pvc

Old 05-15-03, 11:08 AM
tjw61
Visiting Guest
Pvc

Hi,
I have a pool heater that has a threaded PVC fitting cemented in it. The thread isn't in the best of shape and I was wondering if there is a way to remove the cement and insert a new one? If that's not possible, should I cement another fitting in place to make a secure connection? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated! TIA.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-03, 11:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Usually threaded PVC fittings have teflon tape or pipe dope compound, not PVC glue. Are you sure that it's glued?
Have you cut the pipe and tried to unscrew the fitting? You can put the pipe back together with a PVC-glued coupling, and tape or dope the threads.
Mike

Old 05-15-03, 12:27 PM
tjw61
Visiting Guest
pvc

The flange that bolts onto the heater had a smooth opening that I glued a female threaded fitting into. It's these threads that are not in good shape. For the past 4 years I've used pipe dope to complete the connection. My question now is if I force the connection, it'll probably leak. That's why I was wndering if it's possible to remove the peices that were glued in. If not and it's going to leak, would using the cement instead of the dope make the connection better? I hope that's clearer, sorry for the lack of calrity in the first post. I don't even know if it'll work. Thanks.

Old 05-15-03, 12:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

You might be better off just PVC-gluing those old deteriorated threads, if they're going to leak with pipe dope or tape, and adding a coupling onto the pipe to it.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 05-15-03, 12:55 PM
tjw61
Visiting Guest
pvc

I think that's the way I'm going to bo. Thanks for your help!