Low Hot Water Pressure

Old 05-16-03, 03:48 PM
pgwitt
Visiting Guest
Low Hot Water Pressure

The hot water pressure in my house seems low. Whenever two hot water uses are going on at the same time (eg. shower and kitchen faucet, or dishwasher and bathroom faucet), there is a very noticeable decrease in pressure. The cold water does fine, so I don't think it's an overall pressure issue. My water heater is 6 years old. I've never drained it or replaced the anode (?) rod, but would these things help?

Thanks for any help! Paul

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-03, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you have old Galvinized pipes in the house, this is probabbly the problem.

Old 05-19-03, 07:51 AM
pgwitt
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply, Plumber2000. I don't have galvanized pipes in the house as it's only six years old. We do have fairly hard water around here (this is the Rocky Mountains, after all!), so I'm also wondering if there would be mineral buildup. But would it occur more in the hot water pipes than the cold water?

Old 05-19-03, 08:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

Hot water pressure is usually directly affected by the cold water pressure into the heater.
Is the cold water supply valve to the water heater wide open and unobstructed inside?
Mike

Old 05-19-03, 08:31 AM
pgwitt
Visiting Guest
The valve is wide open. As for unobstructed, I think it is clear because I opened and closed the valve a few times with no problem. The water pressure in our neighborhood is a bit on the low side, something the town is working on fixing. But would it affect the hot water significantly moreso than the cold? As I said, the cold seems to do just fine with multiple uses.

Paul

Old 05-19-03, 08:39 AM
Cool

The water pressure should be the same, but depending upon the size of the hot and cold supply pipes, the hot water may have less volume than the cold water supply lines, depending upon how it was plumbed.
Maybe the town increasing the water pressure will help you. You seem to have done everything else.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 05-19-03, 05:38 PM
You could have significant obstruction in the inlet or outlet of the heater as well, but you will have to disconnect the piping to check them... Especially is it an issue if you have "heat traps" on the heater nipples...

Old 05-20-03, 07:50 AM
pgwitt
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice - since I'm really not into plumbing and connnecting and disconnecting pipes, I'll probably have a plumber come in and take a look--although now that I've heard that "nipples" may be involved, it might make it more interesting! :-)