Can fittings be Resoldered?

Old 05-18-03, 11:44 AM
rightoo
Visiting Guest
Can fittings be Resoldered?

I know most would cut and join, but I'm in that situation where its replacing all might need to be done, meaning too many repairs done in past and no room for more.

Anyways, my question is can a soldered joint in 3/4" copper pipe be taken apart and resoldered? If so what is the proper procedure. What I essentially want to do is remove a sleeve or the copper solder piece of a dielectric union or remove the pipe coming out of a valve. By the way , for a water heater.

In a nutshell, can a soldered joint be taken apart and resoldered?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-03, 12:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Yes, you can sweat a joint apart, sandpaper or emory cloth it and clean it up, and re-solder it. You may even need take a small file to the cold solder left on the pipe to smooth it down enough to dry fit back together. Use new flux and lead-free solder.
Turn the power or gas off to the heater, of course.
If you do it at the valve end, turn the main water shut-off or meter off, and open the valve. Drain the water pressure off of the heater, as necessary. You can't solder anything with water in it or dripping through it.
Disconnect the copper side of the di-electric union.
You don't want to transfer heat to the internal meltable parts of a closed valve or the union.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 05-18-03, 03:36 PM
To remove existing solder on pipe that you unsweat without using a file, reheat the pipe back up and with a glove on and sanding cloth, after you see the solder at the melting state, run the sand paper over the pipe, this will remove excess solder off of it.

Old 05-18-03, 07:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I am concerned that you are going to solder that close to the threaded connection and even more so that you are soldering so close to the inlet or outlet of the heater... If you are on the inlet side, you might melt the diptube, but at best, if you solder a fitting that is threaded on with dope or tape, you will melt all the sealant badly before you get the solder to take and can create a leak... The best answer is to do it all over and leave yourself some room to work... It is not much more work than doing just the one joint and will be fewer complications...