Basement Toilet Not Flushing/Overflowing

Old 05-19-03, 03:19 PM
Beech
Visiting Guest
Question Basement Toilet Not Flushing/Overflowing

Recently purchased my first (older - 1950) house and has been quoted here before, now the problems begin.

Basement toilet has worked fine for the first month and now suddenly it doesn't have the power to flush and is thus overfilling the bowl and flooding on to the floor. This stool is not used much and just started doing this on its own without any waste matter in it (thank god) to obstruct it. Plunging hasn't helped. I've adjusted the floating valve turnoff in the fresh water tank higher and lower hoping to create more force but achieving the same results. Manually closing the flapper valve/stopper in FWT, to keep it from overflowing again, results in the bowl filling very full then the water level very slowly dropping until it reaches the top curve of the "exit" path/pipe. At that point a few air bubbles "burp" and then it equalises back up to it's normal level in the bowl.

It is a wet spring right now so I don't know if this is a water table thing that I'll have to tolerate each season or if I need to start regularly snaking the main for obstructions as I have read in other similar posts. What about the air assisted stools? Are they an option although expensive?

All other toilets/showers/sinks drain fine. Basement does have a grill covered drain in the floor which has come in handy during this little problem and appears to be the path that all non sewer water exits the house. Anyone with any insight/suggestions would be welcome advice.

The next step is to obviously call a plumber but my last experience with one was very bad after several satisfactory service calls. Plus it would stroke my ego if I could resolve it on my own with out needing a professional to tell me the obvious for once in front of the wife who just likes to throw money at the problems. Any idea's???

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-03, 04:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would say that the first step is to snake the toilet itself with an auger... Something could have gotten in it that is hanging it up... Don't worry about water level or any of that stuff... A toilet that is not flushing well due to those other reasons may not blow paper straight to the city, but it should never back up unless it is stopped up... If the auger doesn't help, then you may have to pull up the toilet and run a snake down the drain to clear up the clog...

Old 05-20-03, 07:47 AM
Beech
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thanks for the advice Ragnar. Thats what I was thinking I would need to do. I was just seeing if there was another option. I'm new at this type of work and understand mechanics pretty well so I'm just a little gun-shy before I go gallanting into a new project on my most expensive investment to date without checking around a little. Thanks again...