Leaking Airgap from dishwasher

Old 05-19-03, 03:38 PM
rjay9
Visiting Guest
Leaking Airgap from dishwasher

I canít get the airgap for the dishwasher to stop leaking. I know most people eliminate airgaps, but Iíve got to get this one working to satisfy the inspector for the sale of our home. So far, I have replaced the airgap and the 7/8Ē pipe from the airgap to the disposal. Eliminated the slight up-slope on the pipe going into the disposal. Cleaned the burs on the inside of the inlet to the disposal where the plug was punched. Cleaned the trap under the sink.

Still the leak from the airgap persists. The flow from the dishwasher is pretty strong and the pipe from the dishwasher is longóin goes around a corner, but I donít see how that would be a problem. The disposal drain ultimately fills from the flow from the disposal, but does not result in water coming up into the sink.

Anybody got any suggestions??????

Thanks,

Jay

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-03, 04:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Where is the airgap leaking?
Have you also looped the DW drain hose over DW before the airgap?
Have you checked the trap and drainpipes for a partial clog (which may cause the problem)?
Mike

Old 05-19-03, 04:58 PM
rjay9
Visiting Guest
Mike
Where is the airgap leaking? --from the vents on top of the sink

Have you also looped the DW drain hose over DW before the airgap? --I don't know. The dishwasher is around the corner and two cabinets down--should the DW drain be looped high--Is that necessary, I thought that was the point of the airgap

Have you checked the trap and drainpipes for a partial clog (which may cause the problem)? --Water from the sink is running fine.

thanks for your help

jay

Old 05-19-03, 05:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Jay,
You're right. The purpose of the air gap is to prevent backflow from the drain, just as is looping the drain hose over the DW is.
A DW has a pretty powerful discharge pump, however, so I still think that the problem must be a partial clog in the drain pipe.
A faucet flow is one thing. A DW discharge is another...FAR more water.
Take the trap off, and snake the drain pipe with a crank-handle flexible plumber's snake, and see if that doesn't solve the problem.
Good Luck!
Mike