greenboard/drywall behind fiberglass shower?

Old 05-19-03, 04:02 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
greenboard/drywall behind fiberglass shower?

I am building a little house behind the main house and I 1st framed allowing for 1/2 drywall behind the one piece shower. (Shower being aprox 33" so framing allowed for extra inch giving me a 34" frameout. However, I went to HD and looked at the shower stall and it has a lip so figure no drywall behind the shower, only insulation. So then, I re-did all the framing moving it in so it's 33" (with a flexible shower I figure I can slip it in place.
My question is, does it or does it not have greenboard/drywall behind the fiberglass shower? Or, is it optional? Or best to have the wallboard? I'd had to tear it out again and do it over but...Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-03, 04:08 PM
You really need to read the instruction with your unit. There are fiberglass units that do require a backer and some that mount directly to the wall studs.
Usually, the heavier the wall unit, the less it needs a backer, but not always.

This clears this up real well, I know, but you do need to read the instructions for that model.

Old 05-19-03, 04:20 PM
P
Thanks For the Reply

Thanks for replying so quickly! I will go to HD and review the installation instructions. Maybe if I need backing with theirs, I'll go somewhere else and find one that doesn't. I just hate to repeat th work for a 3rd time. It's getting hot out there!

Old 05-19-03, 05:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Generally, you will find with the one-piece units with "the lip" on them that nothing on the wall of the shower could even touch the backer if it were there... It is designed to be secured directly to the framed unfinished wall, and then you greenboard over the lip covering up the screws and the unfinished edge of the shower... The only showers I have seen that needed any type of backer are the 3 and 4-piece units that have flat walls of laminate that are "glued" to the backer... That doesn't sound like what you are working with... By the way, the framing does need to be pretty exact, but it would be better to be a hair large than a hair small... While the TOP of the shower unit might be a LITTLE flexible, the bottom is absolutely ridgid and you will have to frame for it...

Old 05-20-03, 07:25 AM
harryhomeowner
Visiting Guest
I just installed a tub and 1 piece surround, and went directly to the studs. It worked out well. There is some give to hte walls, but it's pretty solid all around!!!!!!