Toilet vibrates after tank fills

Old 05-19-03, 08:04 PM
Bubba
Visiting Guest
Toilet vibrates after tank fills

My house was built in 1987. We have lived here for 5 years. We constantly have to plunge our commodes. Lately, after flushing, when the tank finishes filling, there is a brief vibrating sound. What could this be? The plunging is ridiculous....never had this problem anywhere else and now this vibration. Hope someone can shed some light on this problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-03, 10:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

To get rid of the vibrating noise, replace the toilet tank water inlet valve with a Fluidmaster 400A float-cup type valve (about $5-$7 bucks). Just follow the easy installation instructions that come with it.
As for the plunging, you may have an older model, so-called low-flow 1.6-gallon toilet that does't flush well, or there may be an obstruction in the built-in trap of the toilet.
To check the latter, get a 3' crank-handle toilet auger, and auger the trap through the bowl to see if something has gotten lodged in it (plastic toy, toothbrush, etc.).
If that isn't it, you may have to pull the toilet to see if you can auger and dislodge anything from underneath, keep plunging, or replace the toilets with newer, better models.
Personally, although they're required by US law now, I wouldn't have one of those new so-called "water-saver" toilets even though the newer ones supposedly work fine. They'll have to pry my cold dead hands off the handles of the old guzzlers that I have, but that's just me. LOL
Good Luck!
Mike