Cleaning up after a water leak

Old 05-20-03, 08:47 AM
JohnW
Visiting Guest
Cleaning up after a water leak

I wasn't sure which topic to post this under. Mods, please move it if this isn't the right topic.

I just bought a house, and I'm now getting a crash course in home repair. The guys who delivered and hooked up the refrigerator hooked up the water line to it incorrectly and it leaked all night. This resulted in water getting on the cardboard backing of the referigerator, on the tile floor in the kitchen, going under the cabinets beside the fridge, running under (or through) the wall behind the refrigerator, and soaking the carpet and baseboards in the closet on the other side of the wall. The fridge people can't come fix the leak and look at the damage (no guarantee on if they'll even fix the damage, they want to look at it first. ) until tomorrow.

I've shut off the water to the fridge, cleaned up the water with a shop vac and a mop, ripped up the carpet and pad from the closet and cleaned up all that water, and I have a fan blowing in the closet to try to dry everything out.

The side of the cabinets (and probably underneath them) has soaked up some water. The baseboards in the closet are still moist. Also, I'm concerned that water may have gotten underneath the tile in the kitchen, is still under the cabinets, and is still inside the wall that it ran under.

My question is: What else can I do to try to minimize the damage until these people can come back? Also, what should I expect them to do to fully clean everything up and eliminate the risk of further damage from water or mold?

Thanks for any advice that you can give.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-03, 10:34 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Keep the fan running.

Look carefully at the tile and cabinets when the adjuster is there. Almost any change in either signals water damge. FWIW, the initial, transient contact with water won't damage anything other than sheet rock.

Have you called your home insurance agent? The refrigerator folks seem liable for all this, but it might be worthwhile to bring your agent in on this. He might be able to motivate the responsible party to avoid having to deal with it otherwise.

Hope this helps.