Repairing a leak in a drain pipe


Old 05-20-03, 02:33 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Repairing a leak in a drain pipe

I have a leak in the the piece of drain pipe that fits into the large cast iron pipe that exits the concrete wall in the basement. Since the house is 50 years old, I would like to have the drain pipe replaced from the kitchen and bathroom down to the cast iron pipe. ( it's a small house.) Is this a job a handy do-it-yourselfer can do or is this a job for a professional?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-03, 02:47 PM
Mike Swearingen's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northeastern NC On The Albemarle Sound
Posts: 10,952
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Is the drain pipe that you want to replace cast iron or galvanized steel pipe?
You can replace it by cutting out the old from the top down (it will be heavy and you have to support it first), plumbing in new black plastic ABS or white plastic PVC drain pipe, and connecting the old to the new with no-hub connectors. You can cut the old with a reciprocating saw with metal-cutting blades.
You will need to maintain the 1/4" of slope per linear foot in all drain lines toward the main drain. Each type of plastic pipe has its own type of glue (ABS glue or PVC primer and glue).
You can do a Search above on Drain Systems for more info.

Good Luck!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: