Hot New Topic... copper compression mystery

Old 05-20-03, 04:11 PM
earwax
Visiting Guest
Talking Hot New Topic... copper compression mystery

Hi folks. First off this is a great forum. I searched for a similar issue and found several, but I'm a real bonehead and need real simple detailed instructions. OK.. here's the deal..

You'll all be proud that I was able to reattach new sinks, two garbage disposals, two new faucets after my wife had a guy change out our countertops. The only thing that's the royal pain in the the tush is re attaching our insinkerator insta hot dispenser.

I've got two of the three hoses in, but the last one is tough. I have to attach a 1/4" copper tube (which leads from the faucet) to another 1/4" copper tube (which will give me added length necessary to reach...) the 1/4" male plug located on the hot water container under the sink.

I tried using some compression joints but they leaked. Either I installed them wrong or didin't have the right fittings. I need to A) join tube 1 to tube 2 and to B) join tube 2 to the male 1/4 threaded plug.

I can't solder so that's not an option. And I have a general idea how compression fittings work, but the coupler for instance I bought, didn't have the so called "olive." Just a couple nuts and some brass tubular inserts. Which I couldn't figure how they'd work because if you pulled hard enough the copper tubes would slide right now of the compression nuts.

Well that's it for now. Please let me know what parts I need to get this done.

Thanks in advance and did you here about the new Pirate Movie?

It's rated "ARRRRRRRRRRR."

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-03, 06:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

You need brass ring ferrules (olives?) to slide onto the copper tube after sliding on the nut, in order to have a leak-proof compression fitting. If it still leaks a bit even with the ferrules, you can wrap a wrap of teflon tape around the ferrule (not the threads of a compression fitting).
It sounds like you may have compression fittings for plastic tubing (the brass tubular inserts go in plastic tubing, but are not necessary in copper tubing). However, both are supposed to have ferrules. The ferrules are what actually seal a compression fitting.
Hold a backup wrench on the fitting when tightening the nut, and keep the tubing straight.
Good luck!
Mike