Replacing a shut of valve/hot water heater

Old 05-20-03, 05:45 PM
gregdam
Visiting Guest
Replacing a shut of valve/hot water heater

I need to replace a shut off valve for the bathroom that I am remodeling. In order to replace it, I need to stop the incoming
water at the main house shutoff, because there are no shutoffs coming off of the existing gas water heater. The time it takes to replace the shutoff valve should be no more than an hour.
The question is, can I do any damage to the water heater by shutting off it's supply for this amount of time. And if it isn't, is there a certain amount of time before damage can start.
Or are there things to do to the gas water heater if shutting of its supply for about an hour or more.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-03, 06:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Your water heater should have a cold water shut-off valve which cuts off the hot water only, if that's the valve that you're replacing.
You can turn your gas control to Pilot, but even that may not be necessary for a short period of time, as long as you don't drain the heater much.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 05-20-03, 08:43 PM
gregdam
Visiting Guest
There are no shutoffs to or from the gas water heater. The moron who installed the last water heater took some shortcuts. This is the water heater that came with the house we purchased 9 years ago, and soon to be replaced, with the proper shut-off valves. I just wanted to make sure I didn't create a hazard if I shut down the supply to the water heater for a period of time.
Thanks for the input. This site helps me out in more ways than I can count. It is the best place to get input on any problem I have encountered since purchasing my home. Thanks again

Old 05-20-03, 09:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
As OldGuy says, there is no danger assuming that you DO NOT drain the heater... Turn the water off to the house and then go open fixtures in the bathroom to drain the water down before you change the shutoff, but pay close attention that only the water in the pipes runs out... If the water seems to take too long to drain, it could be siphoning the water out of the heater which can create a very dangerous situation... Just to be on the safe side, you can turn the gas valve off on the heater or turn it to pilot so that it doesn't try to heat in case it siphons out...