Gas line outdoors.

Old 05-21-03, 05:23 PM
Bob B.
Visiting Guest
Gas line outdoors.

I am considering a gas pool heater for my pool. The problem is that a line would need to be run approximately 100ft. from my house.
If I want to do this myself is there a reccomended (or required) pipe for the job? Galv. Pipe? or is there something better?
What about the trench? How deep do I need to, or should I, go?
I may want to "T" off for a grill along the way.
I have plumbing experience (although not that much).
I've run gas lines indoors (Black pipe), so I'm comfortable with it.
If I do this, or even if I do hire someone, can I run anything else in the trench? Water? Electric? or is this forbidden. I figure either way I'll dig the trench to save some money.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-03, 06:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Running 100ft, I would definitely run a roll of soft copper... 5/8" should be more than sufficient... The tee to the grill can be a flare tee but code doesn't allow that in some areas... The trench does not have to be large using the roll, since it will have no joints underground (except the tee), and it can be a foot or so deep... Code on that will different in different areas... Generally, it is not a good idea to run everything in the same trench... It can create a very dangerous situation if you mix water and electric, water and gas, or gas and electric... Just cut additional trenches for the other stuff... None of the trenches has to be very deep, so it should not be that much more work...

Old 05-21-03, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you are using LP gas, copper will be fine. Natural gas and copper have problems (the oderant causes the copper to deteriorate from the inside out)

You really need to have the line properly sized for the pool heater and the largest BBQ you plan on installing. Gas load is based on BTU output and there are more than several charts telling you what size pipe to use with different gas pressures. To say that so and so will work, may or may not work depending on several things.

I'd have a talk with a local plumber about what it would cost for him to do the hookups and you do the manual labor. Let a qualified gas fitter/ plumber calculate the load and required gas line size, where you can actually make the connection on existing gas lines without stressing any existing appliance, and most importantly, let the plumber carry the liablity for poor workmanship and any gas leaks that may develop.

As to pipe material, you may want to look PE piping instead of black iron or galvanized. All have advantages and disadvantages. Plastic gas line will have to have a tracer wire included.

You need to check local codes very closely to see what you can and can't do.

More questions, comments, ask away and someone will answer you.

Good luck and have fun...

Old 05-22-03, 06:19 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Thumbs down Incorrect Forum

Hello: Bob B.

Question moved:

Good questions you asked and good advice you have gotten.

However, the question pertains to plumbing and not the gas appliance, therefore the question does not belong in my gas appliances forum.

Your question is being moved into the plumbing forum since plumbing contrators perform this type of installation.

If and when you have any questions pertaining to the gas heater, post that question in the pools and spas forum or into my gas appliances forum.

Sorry for the confussion and question moving.

Old 05-22-03, 01:56 PM
Bob B.
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the Info and advice. I just might take the advice of setting up everything and letting a pro do the hook-up. Seems safer and they'll know the code.

appreciate the help.

Old 05-22-03, 02:41 PM
mikieme
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb new gas line

REMEMBER YOU NEED TO PRESSURIZE THE PERSPECTIVE GAS LINE TO 35lbs. FOR 72 HOURS BEFORE YOU CONNECT IT TO THE APPLIANCE OR THE SERVICE.( THIS WAY YOU WILL KNOW IF THERE ARE ANY LEAKS YOU ARE ALLOWED 3 POUNDS DIFFERANCE FROM THE TIME YOU PRESSURIZE IT TO THE END OF THE 72 HOURS.) BUT YOU WILL HAVE TO CHECK YOU LOCAL BUILDING CODES THERE MAY BE A SLIGHT DIFFERANCE.
THOUGHT YOU MIGHT LIKE A HEADS UP GOOD LUCK