caulking at base of toilet?

Old 05-21-03, 07:43 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
caulking at base of toilet?

Hi,
What is the purpose of caulking at the base of the toilet where it sits on the ceramic tile.? Do I have to do it? I just installed 2 new Toto Ultimate toilets, and I like to clean look of the toilet sitting on the ceramic tile...appreciate any responses. Thank you
George

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-03, 09:25 PM
T
It's basically so it looks nicer, and when you clean.wash the floor stuff doesn't get underneath. I like using clear silicone as it's basically invisible when looked at.

Old 05-21-03, 11:09 PM
L
Around here, it's required by code that it be done.

When I installed my cobalt blue Kohler, I used matching blue caulking around the base. Had to prove to the inspector that it was there. Guess I did an OK job of caulking, since the floor tiles are white!

Old 05-22-03, 03:10 AM
G
which color??

Now I am wondering if the white silicone would be better or the clear. Which one would be less conspicuous. They are Toto white toilets. Thanks

George

Old 05-22-03, 04:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

I would use white tub-and-tile caulk.
Mike

Old 05-22-03, 03:21 PM
Lew Falconer
Visiting Guest
Hi Guys. I can't believe that somewhere they have made it code to caulk the toilet base to the floor. I know it looks nice but if the toilet seal lets go; and they usually do after a while, you have no way of knowing it until the floor under the toilet has rotted out.
I know a lot of people like the look but I never recommend doing it and I grumble while I'm doing it if requested by a client.
Have a good day folks.

Old 05-22-03, 03:41 PM
It is CODE here, what I do is leave the back side un-caulked, this way if it does leak it will be seen before it's too late.

Old 05-22-03, 04:01 PM
Lew Falconer
Visiting Guest
Sneaky but effective. Thanks for the quick reply.

Old 05-22-03, 04:20 PM
On tile, I prefer to use premixed tile grout for the added stability... I also think it looks nicer and blends with the tile better... It is also not water proof so you will see the appearance of a leak if you ever have one... You can buy the little tub of premixed white grout for just a few buck and it cleans up easily with water...

Old 05-23-03, 03:31 AM
G
reply-continued

Now, I'm real mixed up.......white caulk/ clear/ grout/nothing at all......I keep wavering....I bought clear silicone yesterday:Mono tub/tile waterproof, mildewproof, and was ready to do, but don't know now. I do have some of the floor grout left for one bathroom, but none for the other bathroom, where I used epoxy grout........????????
Thanks
George

Old 05-23-03, 06:19 AM
Use tub and tile caulk, not the silicone type, but the stuff that says water clean up, I'm not one for using grout or silicone at the base of toilets, it's much easies to break the caulked seal on a toilet if you ever need to remove the toilet in the future, using grout or %100 silicone can make it that much more difficult to pull a toilet when you have.

It's your option, you can use what you want.

Old 05-23-03, 08:50 PM
I NEVER NEVER use the clear silicone if I don't have to as it is VERY difficult to wipe in to begin with since you can't wipe it in with water... It is not a water cleanup type caulk... I always use the WHITE tub and tile caulk on almost all types of floors... Just the standard DAP or White Lightning brand is fine... I just happen to prefer grout on a tile floor because a tile floor is many times not perfectly even all the way around and using grout with the tile is like giving it a rigid shim all the way around that will keep it from rocking... Grout sets up hard and caulk does not, that is my reasoning... However, if you feel like the toilet sits pretty stable, then the white caulk is certainly fine...

Old 05-27-03, 01:52 AM
P
Oh Ragnar, I think of how many toilets I have seen ruined because someone grouted to the floor so well that it breaks when trying to pull it back up. I also think of the nasty urine sniffin' belly time I have spent chipping or dremel-ing out grout. I say tub and tile only!

Old 05-27-03, 07:30 AM
Ditto,

What Paulyp said.

Old 05-27-03, 10:09 AM
L
Cool

What kind of grout did you use that holds so well? I agree with regular caulk and not silicone or grout, try Penoseal works well and cleans up easy.

Best of luck!
Dave

Old 05-31-03, 07:20 PM
Now see PaulyP and Plumber2000, that is the difference in you guys and me,... I don't put stuff in with the idea of taking it back out one day ... A good toilet set can last 30+ years, and I don't consider a little grout chipping every 3 decades too much too ask... I just find it looks better and has a far more stabilizing effect than caulking... Just my opinion though... Which don't count for a hill o' beans, I know...