Three piece plumbing rough in?

Old 05-22-03, 12:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Three piece plumbing rough in?

Hello everyone. I am looking to finish a basement bathroom in the near future and have a couple of questions.

We live in a townhome (built in 1999), which has a partially finished bathroom on the ground floor ("three piece plumbing rough in" according to the house specs). Drywall (walls and celings) is already in place, as well as a prewired outlet box for a lighting fixture with switch, and an exhaust fan. As far as plumbing goes however, all I see are two drain pipes extending from the concrete floor (one 3.5", the other 2.5", both capped). I am assuming one is for a toilet (3.5") , the other for a tub/shower...?

My main question is if I was to receive a 3 piece rough in, should that not include water supply lines? There is no access panel, and I can't imagine they were run and just covered up with drywall (but I'm not sure either). If no supply lines exist, the utility closet is fairly close, but I wouldn't know where to begin to run new piping across the finished ceiling (the rest of the basement is finished). If supply lines do exist, but they are hidden, what would be the cleanest way to find them?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-03, 12:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

You're right.
The larger drain (no trap) is for the toilet (toilets have built-in traps) and the smaller drain is for the tub/shower (should have a trap in floor).
The sink drain pipe and supply lines should be in the wall. All drains should be already properly vented and tied into the main drain/waste/vent system.
There should be a cold water supply line for the toilet, and cold and hot water lines and a drain for the sink in the wall behind where you would expect these to be.
Your plumbing layout plans for your townhome, if you have them, should show where these are, or you might find a neighbor with the same exact townhome plan who has already installed a bathroom to give you an indication.
You can use a utility knife or drywall saw to open up the sheetrock near the floor to find them, in lieu of all else. It will have to be opened up and repaired anyway to connect the plumbing.
You can do a Search above to find illustrations of full bath and half-bath layouts to give you an idea.
Good Luck!
Mike