Filling/Getting Rid of Old Shower Drain

Old 05-23-03, 09:17 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Filling/Getting Rid of Old Shower Drain

Hubby and I hope to remove an existing freestanding shower, convert the tub next to it to a combo shower/tub and then convert the shower to a closet (existing shower is disgusting/beyond help and we need the space).

My question (so I can talk reasonably intelligently to plumbers about the job) is: 1) what do we need to do with a shower pan/base in the shower? Ideas of what we may find and how to get rid of it? 2) how do you cap off the existing shower drain? What should a reputable plumber do in such a case?

Thanks so much for any help you can provide...

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-03, 01:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

You need to remove the shower walls and pan, remove the faucet and permanently cap off the hot and cold supply lines and the drain, and build the closet (framing, drywall, shelving, door and floor).
If there has been any leaking, you may find some damage to the wall framing or floor, which can just be repaired.
How the pipes are capped simply depends on the type of pipe...
soldered caps for copper, threaded caps or plugs for galvanized, and glued caps for plastic.
If you're hiring all of the work done, a plumber can remove the the shower and cap off the pipes. A carpenter can build the closet. A drywall person can install and finish the drywall. A painter can paint it. You will also have to cover the floor of the new closet (vinyl or tile?).
You may find one person capable of doing the whole job, or hire a remodeling contractor, or do some or all yourself.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 05-25-03, 11:03 AM
B
Thanks!

Thanks, Mike! Appreciate the info. But...

My question was more on the specifics of the shower pan and capping the drain. Capping the drain sounds really straightforward. So I guess I'm wondering now what the shower pan is likely made of and how it is removed. I've heard that they can be made of concrete or a drop-in type unit (I honestly have no clue in reality what a "shower pan" is!) Our house is circa 1951, FYI. I am trying to figure out who/what is necessary for that part of the job...

Thanks again!