bathroom disaster part 2

Old 05-24-03, 04:38 PM
dkabramson
Visiting Guest
bathroom disaster part 2

well, now we think that it's a piece from the drain assembly thing that's stuck down in there. We bought a snake attachment for the drill, and can get it about 10 feet in and then the obstruction won't let it go any further. Now what??

-rita

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-03, 05:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Rita,
Please stay on the same thread on the same subject. It is much easier for all to follow.
Do NOT put anymore caustic drain cleaner like Drano into the drain. That will not solve your problem. That is for total clogs only, and just creates a chemical backup hazard for you (eyes, skin, etc.).
If you think that part of your drain assembly is causing the problem, you need to unscrew the two bolts in the overflow plate on the tub, and try to pull the trip-lever drain stopper assembly out. If it all comes out, including the brass tube at the bottom that is actually the stopper, then that isn't the problem.
If the stopper doesn't come out, try to fish it out with a piece of stiff wire.
Sounds to me like you may have a clog in the drain pipes of the tub and sink before they connect with the main drain which the toilet flows into.
Put a bucket or large pan under the trap under the sink, disconnect it, and snake that line with our drill.
If you have a clean-out plug in a drain pipe under the tub (basement? crawlspace?), then you need to open those up and snake them.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 05-24-03, 05:51 PM
dkabramson
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Mike--
We think that a part of the drain assembly (or whatever i should call it) actually broke off and is lodged way down in there. Do you still think the next step is to go under the sink? If you do, we'll go for it! Anything we should know about opening that up before doing it, besides having a bucket there?

And sorry about separating the thread; you're so right.... Here is the quote of my original post, for clarity's sake:

"Our bathtub drain has not been working so wonderfully lately, but we have continued to use drano and other basic unclogging products.

Yesterday, suddenly, disaster struck: After a bath, the water refused to drain--- It took a few hours for the water to finally all go down--- and by that time the water had filled with all kinds of things, who knows where from. Later I discovered that when I ran the water in the SINK, all kinds of water came UP through the BATHTUB drain.... and believe me, it wasn't clean water either. As far as I can tell, flushing the toilet does not have the same effect.

Also, I was able to run the shower for a moment without it causing any further problem, and then after a moment it's possible that the same thing started happening again, as the water suddenly became less "clean" and the draining all but stopped."

thanks!
- rita

Old 05-25-03, 05:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

When you remove the trap under the sink to snake the drain line, make sure that the snake goes DOWN into the drain pipe and not up into the vent pipe.
You have a clog in your drain line.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 05-26-03, 05:06 PM
dkabramson
Visiting Guest
Talking THANK YOU!!!

Wow, Mike, God only knows how much money you saved us!!!

Went through the sink, kept going at it from both directions till we finally got it out of there.... turned out to be an amazingly historical hairball....! Now that drain works better than it ever has before.

Can't thank you enough!

- Rita