Spud washer woes

Old 05-24-03, 08:00 PM
Larry L
Visiting Guest
Spud washer woes

I'm new here so I'll be up front with you; I'm computer illiterate and have no commode savy either, but I try!
I have a Crane commode that I replaced all parts on and everything worked fine EXCEPT the spud washer. I bought a spud washer and bolt kit that said it was for Crane commodes. It didn't look like the original one but I used it anyway cause it was for a Crane. I installed it, sat tank on and noticed that there was a substantial gap bewteen tank and bottom portion of commode. I tightened bolts as much as I could without breaking tank and there was still a gap at the bottom and I was able to move the tank frontwards and backwards which I couldn't do before disassembly. I guess I did a dumb thing, I didn't turn water on and flush to see if it leaked or not. I took tank back off, went to hardware store, bought a spud washer that was a little softer and had a seat molded into it where nut on bottom of overfill assembly fit. This spud washer fit the bottom of the overflow assembly better than the one made for Crane BUT, it stated it was for American Standard. I tried it anyway and it too leaked.
I'm going spud washer crazy and my wife says shes giving me one more chance, then she's marrying a real plumber. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-03, 10:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

You'll have to find one just like the old one.
Hope that you haven't thrown it away.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 05-25-03, 07:13 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Years ago, I was shown a trick by another service plumber to make these washers work when they just don't fit right. Use a gasket that makes the tightest fit so the tank doesn't wobble, undo the connection again, then put pipe dope around the gasket. More is better in this case as it can not be seen at all. Water is under very low pressure as it drains into the bowl and pipe dope just fills the little gaps that develop as you tighten down the bowl.

Good luck with your project.

Old 05-25-03, 10:43 AM
Larry L
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the response guys. Your help and/or advice is greatly appreciated. I live an hour and a half or so from a store with more than just a few plumbing supplies available and this is the long weekend so I guess I'll try doping up the best fitting washer and see what happens. If that fails I still have the old washer that I can take to the big city and try to find. Thanks again!