hot water

Old 05-26-03, 09:46 PM
Brad L.
Visiting Guest
hot water

What's the most efficient way to get hot water to any part of the house without wasting gallons waiting for it to get there? We're having a house designed and I'd like to know what's available before I make any decisions. My in-laws have a pump that continuously circulates the hot water through the house so that it's quickly available to any faucet. Though it works great, running a pump and reheating the same water over and over seems very inefficient. I know about point-of-use heaters but can they provide a lot of hot water over a long period? Are there any other options that I should consider?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-03, 11:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Here is a convection (no pump) recirculating system that you might check out that doesn't waste any water:
http://www.nibco.com/newproducts/justright/
Here is a point-of-use system that doesn't waste water:
http://www.lainginc.com/act303.htm
Or, you can go with two water heaters on each end of the home.
Or you can go with tankless water heaters, or a combination.
It all depends on the layout of your home, the projected usage, and the type of energy available.
Your utility companies (electricity or gas) also may have local information for you on energy efficiency of recommended systems.
Some of the pro plumbers here (I'm not one) might have recommendations, and you might check with Doug Aleshire over in the Baths forum.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 05-27-03, 01:16 PM
Brad L.
Visiting Guest
hot water

Unfortunately, thought the convection system sounds appealing, I don't think it will work here in Houston as most water heaters are located in the attic since homes in this area are built on slabs. The Laing system sounds like something I might add to my existing home since my kitchen is the furthest point from the water heater.

With our new house being in the 4500 sq. ft. range, we may wind up with a combination of multiple heaters and tankless heaters.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Old 05-27-03, 01:35 PM
Brewbeer
Visiting Guest
How about designing the house so that the kitchen and bathrooms are all centerally located in close proximity to the water heater? This would also cut down on plumbing costs.