No Water coming from shower head pipe

Old 05-27-03, 01:45 PM
ellenp40
Visiting Guest
Unhappy No Water coming from shower head pipe

In my shower, when I turn the handle from tub water to shower water, no water comes from shower head. I took shower head off, cleaned it and still no water. I assume the problem is in the pipe or the valve that switches from tub to shower mode. There's probably a clog in the pipe or maybe the value is stripped/broken, etc? I'm having trouble taking off the cap/handle that activates the shower/tub water action. I need help understanding what the actual problem may be and if it's fixable without the aid of a plumber. When the water is activated to shower mode -- no water is coming from the tub faucet nor the shower head pipe, but I don't hear any water running or dripping anywhere else (which I guess is a good thing!). Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-03, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Did you turn on the water to the shower after you took the head off to make sure it is not the shower head?

Old 05-27-03, 01:58 PM
ellenp40
Visiting Guest
Yes I did -- I forgot to mention that in the first post.

Old 05-27-03, 02:06 PM
Brand of the shower valve, is it a 1 or 2 or 3 handle control valve?

Old 05-27-03, 02:09 PM
ellenp40
Visiting Guest
There's a handle for hot water, for cold water and handle in the middle to adjust from tub to shower water. House was built in '46 but it certainly looks like handles, etc from the 70s/80s.

Old 05-27-03, 02:17 PM
Best I can tell you is the cap on front of most handles pop off, under it is the screw, remove the screw and pull the handle off, remove the trim which is screw onto the valve, form there you can take out the stem, all this can be done without turning water off to the house, once you get the stem out turn on the water for a see and see if there is pressure to the center control of the valve, there is a chance and depending on the brand you might see some debrie in behind this diverter stem, lets hope so, if no debrie seen there, then next step is to rig up a hose to the pipe at the shomer head and see if you can back flush the shower riser pipe, last option is to open back wall and try to solve it there or replace the shower valve with a new one.

Old 05-27-03, 02:33 PM
ellenp40
Visiting Guest
The cap is not popping off but there is a visible screw which I unscrewed using a Phillips and I still can't get the cap off. Without the screw, the handle still turns left to right but just won't pop off. Any suggestions on how to get the handle off?

Thanks for your other info/suggestions.

Old 05-27-03, 02:38 PM
Use a handle puller, find it it a home depot or other plumbing supply store.