Please explain "downfall problem"

Old 05-27-03, 01:55 PM
chip
Visiting Guest
Question Please explain "downfall problem"

Not exactly a D-I-Y question since I'm not about to tackle this myself. My 45 year old house develops a sudden backup in our single bathroom shower every 8-24 months requiring a plumber to snake the main cleanout usually in a central direction toward the bathroom. Going through the roof vent usually doesn't work. The plumber explained today that standing water in the main cleanout tells him there is a downfall problem meaning one or more of the sewage lines exiting the house probably has crud builtup. While he doesn't advocate it due to the expense, he said the ultimate remedy would be to run a fiber optic camera through the cleanout, find the buildup and clear it, then jackhammer the slab and rework the cleanout configuration so it doesn't happen again. Make sense? Anyway, we do have future plans to replace the driveway and adjoining cement work and the plumber agreed that would be the opportune time to follow through on this. Do I have a pretty good grip on what's going on here or can anyone correct me in any way? Thanks for your time and for sharing.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-03, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Means not properly graded, or backgrade on the line, proper grade is 1/4" per foot sometimes 1/8" of fall on the pipe, if the line is flat or running uphill, this will make water stand in the pipe, creating an area for a buildup to take place. the fix is to dig it out, or in your case, take up concrete and regarde the pipe to it's proper slope.

Old 05-27-03, 02:16 PM
chip
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanks for the info. Great explanation.

Old 05-28-03, 06:37 AM
Brewbeer
Visiting Guest
How much does he want to videotape the line with the remote camera? It shouldn't cost too much, and it is a great tool to see what is causing the backup.