Drain/Sump Pump

Old 05-27-03, 06:19 PM
dejola
Visiting Guest
Angry Drain/Sump Pump

A friend lives in a five story single family home in New York City. Whenever it rains a lot he gets a flood in his basement. He has a circular roughly 6 inch drain in the floor (and flush with the floor) that is supposed to carry out any water that may find it's way into the basement. But it appears that the flood water he is getting is coming in from the street through this drain as heavy rain floods the public system designed to carry away water from catch basins. My friend usually gets 1 to 2 inches of water that starts at the drain and spreads outward for a distamnce of maybe 25 or thirty feet.

Shouldn't there be some system in the drain pipe, like a baffle, to prevent INCOMING water backing up into his basement via the drain?

What should he do to correct this condition? Should he dig a hole, maybe 24" x 24" x 24" deep and put a sump pump in, or is there some mechanism that can be used to keep the water from rising up from the drain?

Thanks.

John

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-03, 06:36 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There is such a thing as a drain shutoff valve, but it is not cheap. They are usually installed right where the main sewer line exits the house (inside the basement), and some are manual (where you have to manually hit a switch to close it, then remember to open it back up), and some are automatic (they will turn on when the water will hit a certain spot, usually about 3/4 of the height of the main. They are basically "supersized" electric operated gate valves. You do have to remember however that if no waste can backflow no waste can flow out either.

Old 05-27-03, 06:53 PM
dejola
Visiting Guest
Drain/Sump Pump

Thanks, Trinitro. I appreciate your help.

But I thought there was something like a trap door (They can get out but they can't get in :-) ). In other words when water wants to go away from the basement the trap door drops open. Whe the water flow stops he trap door shuts, preventing water from entering. No such thing?

Old 05-27-03, 07:21 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There are check flow valves, the only problem is that they only work well when you have a pressurized system (such as a sump pump or water line). It will work on keeping the city sewer out of the basement, but they will also seriously block the normal drainage of the house as it's all gravity fed. Basically it will cause a blockage at that point as the waste from the house won't be able to lift up the valve.

Old 05-27-03, 08:20 PM
dejola
Visiting Guest
Drain/Sump Pump

I see. Thank you again, Trinitro.