Garbage Disposal - Time to Replace???

Old 05-27-03, 06:52 PM
robhusker
Visiting Guest
Garbage Disposal - Time to Replace???

My kitchen sink has clogged twice in the last four month. The latest was a couple of days ago. Both times I cleaned out the line and found food waste I though my disposal would have ground up (onion peels the first time and egg shells the second time). In our previous house, I ran the same things down the disposal as I do in the current house without any problems. Is it time to replace my disposal? Or could it be something else? I have no idea how old the disposal is but it sounds like the motor is cranking fine. (Except for today when it jammed. I have to clear with an with an allen wrench once I find the right size.)

Thanks,
Rob

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-03, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Run water before during and after use, try not to over feed it, if that don't work then time to replace.

Old 05-27-03, 09:22 PM
R
excuse me if im wrong but i've worked food service for over 14 years and i was always told not to put rice or eggshells down the disposel turn your breaker off disconnect the pipe attached to the disposel and clean it out next reattach the pipe turn the breaker back on and squirt diswashing liquid down the disposel turn the water on then turn the disposel on run lots of water also if your disposel can handle it run cooked chicken wing bones down every now and then it will help keep the drains clean

Old 05-27-03, 09:35 PM
excuse me RUSSELLN114

Your right about the rice thing, but egg shells can pass through the drains, never put any fiber foods in the disposal drains, and no bones, this will be a sure jam up, were talking home disposals not commercial disposals, they make a special disposal for bones and unless you have one in your house it's not advisable.

Plumbing for 20 years, seen it all.

Old 05-27-03, 09:55 PM
R
plummer 2000 respect you greatly as a plummer i have a regular kenmore 1hp and it says in the directions to run bones chichen only to keep the drains clear guess its kenmore trying to sell a product sorry just trying to help your the plummer not me

Old 05-27-03, 10:02 PM
If the direction say you can and you have done it without a problem, then your welcome to continue to do so, 1hp are fast moving dosposals, but I would not put bones in it if it was in my house, if the disposal is below the 1hp threshold one will be asking for problems, KENMORE, don't care dor the product, won't garantee if asked to install one a client buys, I perfer ISE Pro777 or above, these are a great disposal.

Old 05-27-03, 10:11 PM
R
Thumbs up

like i said respect you greatly thanks