Pumping out septic tank

Old 05-28-03, 11:00 AM
Sopman
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Pumping out septic tank

Does anyone know what the rule of thumb is for the time limit on pumping out the septic tank? I was told 6 to 7 years. We bought the house new in 1993 and we had twins in 1996. I had it pumped out in 1999 and the guy said it was just in time.

What puzzles me is that our neighbor bought new in 1994 and they have two kids and has never had their tank pumped.

Something doesn't make sense. Can I go longer or will my neighbor start running into trouble?

Sopman

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-03, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pump tank out every 5 to 7 years.

Old 05-28-03, 11:32 AM
The obvious

I hate to point out the obvious, but maybe you have different size tanks... Or maybe your neighbor just likes to live on the edge.

It is too late when you have to pump. It is better to this as preventative maintenance.

Old 05-29-03, 06:42 AM
Brewbeer
Visiting Guest
A garbage disposer is also a HUGE factor. If you have one and use it, your tank will fill faster.

Old 05-29-03, 06:48 AM
Sopman
Visiting Guest
Our tanks and leach fields are the same size and we don't have garbage disposals. Thank you for the thoughts.

Just out of curiousity, what kind of problems could or will my neighbor run into? Will the pad get too big and start to go into the leach field??? Will it back up into the house, first??? Just guessing...

Sopman

Old 05-29-03, 06:53 AM
Slow drains, water surface on ground, grass turns greens over leach field, leach lines get plugged, mainline to tank get pluged, headache after headache, replacement cost is high, the list can go on and on.

Old 05-29-03, 07:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

North Carolina State University has done a tremendous amount of research on septic systems.
Their recommendation is that septic tanks be pumped out at least every five years.
Additives, such as Rid-X, etc., according to NCSU, are totally unnecessary. Normal use will provide all of the bacteria necessary.
If a septic tank has a vertical baffle pipe to help prevent floating sludge from entering the distribution box and drainfield, it probably would cause sluggish operation and backup into the home first.
If it doesn't have a baffle in the tank, the sludge will go out into the d-box and drainfield and clog it. THAT means replacing the drainfield.
It costs $135 here to have a tank pumped. That works out to only $27/year maintenance cost. It costs far more than that to replace a drainfield. Your neighbor is asking for it.
When it comes to septic systems, an ounce of prevention is definitely worth a pound of cure.
Good Luck!
Mike