What is my shower base made of?

Old 05-28-03, 11:02 AM
Mariko
Visiting Guest
What is my shower base made of?

I am trying to figure out what my shower base (aka shower pan) is made out of. It is grey with a little sprikling of teeny pepper bits in it. It feels smooth to the touch. It's square, but the corners are rounded. The shower stall itself is tile & grout. My problem is that there are areas where the grey has chipped off or worn off revealing what appears to be a dark metal surface below which is rusting in some of the areas where it is exposed. Also there appear to be several "scratches" in the base which are blue in color (not sure if it was scratched by something blue OR if there is just blue beneath the surface which has been exposed). Furthermore, there is a bit of rust around the drain area.

I really want to do some touch up paint, epoxy, or ? to fix my little scratches, nicks and especially rust spots.

1. Any guesses as to what material I'm working with (and, yes, this is probably a stupid question, but I'm still a new DIYer)

2. How can I fix it i.e. touch up paint, epoxy or ???

Thanks for your help with this!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-03, 07:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A picture sure would help.

Old 06-01-03, 09:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The pan sounds like it is an old "lead" pan... Not much way to "fix" a shower pan in any case, short of tearing up the pan and replacing it with a new one...