PRV Questions

Old 05-28-03, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
PRV Questions

I recently built a house in a rural area. In preparing to install a sprinkler system, I measured my water pressure. It showed over 100 psi. After talking to the town, I was told that it can drop as low as 50psi during the summer.

Other relevant info (maybe): Freezing climate, 1" water meter.

My questions are these:

1) I know it is a good idea to put a PRV on my house. Would it be a good idea to put one on my sprinkler system?

2) I believe code requires that if you have a PRV installed you must also have an expansion tank. While codes do not really apply where I live (no inspectors) I try to do everything by the book. But like a lot of codes, this one doesn't make sense. My understanding is that the PRV doesn't allow the thermal expansion to pass out to the water main and thus cushioning the impact. But, don't all water meters have check valves in them? Wouldn't that stop the thermal expansion there? What is the real reason for the expansion tank?

3) Donít most PRVís require a 15 psi differential? If so, how do I maintain that with a 50 psi swing? Any suggestions? Is the only way to valve in a bypass?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-03, 11:42 AM
Install a tee for the sprinkler system just past the meter towards the house, then install the PRV valve after the tee, set prv valve to 50psi.

If you have problems with thermo-expansion you will know this at the water heater, no reason to install an expansion tank until you know for sure you need one.

If you need an expansion tank, it will be installed and located near the water heater.

Old 05-28-03, 01:01 PM
How will I know if I need an expansion tank. What are the signs?

Old 05-28-03, 01:05 PM
When you see hot water comming out of the T&P valve on the water heater.