Brass fitting on galvinized pipe

Old 05-28-03, 03:38 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Brass fitting on galvinized pipe

I know nothing about plumbing, so excuse me if this is an obvious question. I backed over my water spigot sticking out of the ground with a Bobcat. The pipe bent into the ground. (it was about a foot above ground with a valve on it. I dug down about 3 feet and unscrewed the bent pipe from the 90 degree elbow it was attached to underground. I am putting in another 4 foot section of galvanized pipe and attaching a black 90 degree elbow with a brass hose fitting above. Can the brass be attached to the fitting to the galvanized? I thought I heard somewhere you cant attach anything to galvanized but galvanized is this true? When I attach the pipe to the elbow do I jut put a little joint compound on and screw them together? Thanks in advance for your answers.

Brian Landreville

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-03, 05:36 PM
You can use the brass. It will outlast the galvanized pipe but will break quicker next time you run over it with the Bobcat. Don't overtighten it though because brass is softer and takes less tightening to make it leak-free.

Ken

Old 05-28-03, 07:52 PM
B
Thanks for your advice. Is there anything I should use besides galvanized for what I am doing? Its sticking up out of the ground with a spigot on it so I want something that is fairly tough and permanent.

Brian

Old 05-29-03, 05:00 AM
There isn't any other way that will be as strong as galvanized pipe so you probably will just have to live with the limitations of the material. It will last for many years before any corrosion begins.

Old 05-29-03, 06:48 AM
You say black 90 elbow, i hope you mean galvinized or brass, black fittings with water will rust.