Septic System Odor

Old 05-29-03, 06:32 PM
Bill253
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Septic System Odor

I have a summer home with a 12 year old septic system. Recently I replaced the bathroom floor, and since then, I have
had a very bad septic odor in the house. No work was done on the drainage system, or vents.

I have pumped the holding tank, added some bacteria (?) as recommended by the septic system company, but the oder persists.

Plumbers have told me it was due to the cabin being unoccupied and the traps were leaking water, but the odor remains even when the cabin is occupied for a week or more.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-03, 07:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

No work was done on the drainage system or vents? Have you made sure that there is no broken or disconnected drain/waste/vent line under the cabin or in the walls?
If not, sounds like you may have a clogged vent, causing trap water to be siphoned out of a trap when waste water is draining through the system.
Go up on the roof and clear all vent pipes of any leaves, debris, birdnest, etc. that you can reach by hand, and flush the vent with a water hose sprayer.
If debris is still clogging the vent stack, you may have to snake it from top to bottom with a plumber's snake to clear it.
Should solve the problem. If it doesn't, come back on this same thread, and let us know what you've found.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 05-29-03, 08:16 PM
Bill253
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your reply. I have gone on the roof with a 25' snake,
and found some resistance, and pushed the snake through.
The odor seemed to disappear (my wife didn't agree) for a day or two but reappeared shortly thereafter.

I thought about using a garden hose to flush the vent, as it is indeed in the woods; but wasn't sure it would creat even more problems with an expensive septic system. I will try it this weekend, weather permitting.

I have spoken to two plumbers as well as the septic system designer who have been less than helpful.

Old 05-30-03, 04:48 AM
L
When you replaced the floor, are you SURE you got it back at EXACTLY the same height as the original?? I would suspect that you don't have a good seal on the wax ring under the toilet. Try pulling the toilet and using a #3 was ring and see if that helps.

Old 05-30-03, 04:06 PM
Bill253
Visiting Guest
Thanks Lefty. I would have expected my plumber to check. there is a substantial difference between the old plywood and the new cermic tile.

Keep the suggetions coming, I am learning a lot.

dismayed homeowner!

Old 05-30-03, 04:55 PM
Did you check in the crawl space if you have one, make sure no leakage is taking place under the floor.

Old 05-30-03, 06:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

I think that you may have dentified your problem...a new tile floor that doesn't have the toilet flange bolted to the top of the finished floor level (and too much space between the toilet base and the wax ring seal, which is allowing sewer gas back in.)
Only the thickness of the flange should be above the finsihed floor level.
Please provide more info. Thanks.
Mike