pipe heat tape......any good?

Old 05-31-03, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pipe heat tape......any good?

I want to take the back 1/3 of my family room, put up a wall and make it a laundry room. The room was originally a 1 car garage that was converted. When they did the conversion they simply added floor joists and built the floor and knocked out a concrete block from the foundation to gain some kind of access to it from underneath. The joists are about 6" off the concrete floor.

I want to run my water lines through that hole and drill holes in the joists for them to pass through. I live in central Illinois so it gets plenty cold in the winter time ( 0 or a little below at the most). I have seen heat tape for pipes........whats the story on this stuff? Any good? Has it been known to cause any fires? Will it be ok to run it throught the holes in the wood joists? Should I put it on the pvc drain pipe?

Thanks in advance for the information

Ed.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-03, 09:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have heard stories of fires though I personally haven't witnessed it... I have seen damage to PVC, but I think some types are not made for plastic and some are, so just make sure to get the right kind... I personally prefer to just wrap with plenty of pipe insulation and keep it running slightly on cold nights... There's no way I run heat tape through wooden joist holes...