Swap Shower & Toilet Locations

Old 05-31-03, 07:20 PM
snowman54
Visiting Guest
Swap Shower & Toilet Locations

I have a really poorly layed out half bath which would work much better if I swapped the shower & toilet locations. The distance between them is approx 3-4'.

The drains are in the slab, so I want to minimize the re-work as much as possible. That also means I can not see how the drains are currently connected to the sewer run.

If I run a large line from the new toilet location & tie into the old toilet line, can I also tie the shower trap into the same line? Or do I need to run it back over to the original drain location?

I know the two drains are tied together at some point. But for some reason, there is an objection to the idea of the toilet backing up into the shower!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-03, 10:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

I think that the main issue here might the size of the drain lines and the distance each is from its vent pipe. You also need to allow 1/4" of slope for each linear foot of drain line toward the main.
Check with your Building Inspection Dpeartment for local plumbing code, permit and inspections.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 06-01-03, 07:17 AM
poleaxed
Visiting Guest
That would probably be ok.
By code (ohio) the vent stack is probably in the wall near the shower and should be within 5 feet.But you would probably be ok.

Old 06-01-03, 09:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you move BOTH drains and tie BOTH back in to the drain they came from, you will probably be stretching the limit of both fixtures as far as distance from the vents, but they will still both be vented... You should definitely do it that way though... Don't tie the shower drain directly to the new toilet line or the shower won't be vented at all... It would not cause toilet water to come up in the shower, but it would cause the toilet to siphon out the shower trap and you would get sewer smells in the bathroom... The shower drain should reach it's vent before it ties in to any line with a toilet on it...