toilet tank slowly losing water

Old 05-31-03, 07:46 PM
jamal
Visiting Guest
toilet tank slowly losing water

A few days ago I notice the water level in the toilet tank was half way down the tank and it wasn't refilling. I flushed the toilet and it took about half an hour to fill the tank. Checked the next day and it was low again. And noticed small air bubbles coming up from base of fluidmaster. Also, there is some sort of gray sediment on bottom of tank. I checked it and it came out black and oily. Can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-03, 08:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Sounds like it's time to replace the tank water valve with a new Fluidmaster 400A (about $5-$7 bucks). Just follow the easy directions that come with it.
Clean out the tank while you have the water off.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 06-01-03, 03:55 PM
jamal
Visiting Guest
Old Guy - Thanks for the info - much appreciated. I was hoping it was something that simple.

Old 06-01-03, 08:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fluidmasters are funny that way... They just gradually fill up slower and slower and slower, until one day you can barely discern the water filling at all... However, after you replace the Fluidmast, don't forget to change your flapper as well... The fact that the tank is not filling up properly is one problem, but the tank is leaking down to begin with because the flapper is no longer sealing properly...

Old 06-02-03, 01:55 PM
jamal
Visiting Guest
Ragnar - Thanks - I'll get the fluidmaster with the flapper set. I appreciate the help.